Logic and Sense

Spending most days surrounded by teenagers, I wonder if logic and sense still exist. . . I am convinced it does.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

Reminiscing and regrets

Well, spring break has almost come to an end, and I find myself back on the road again today back to Tulsa. I took an extra day this year so that I wouldn't have to rush to get ready for Mandy's wedding, which was beautiful!!! Zack was the ring-bearer in the wedding and looked so handsome in his little tux. He wasn't so sure about the little, white pillow that he was supposed to carry (he thought it was girly), but after Gloria convinced him it had super powers inside, he came to really like the pillow and even played with it throughout the week. :)

Seeing Mandy get married this past weekend has made me very reminiscent all week. Mandy was my best friend in high school, and I can't even imagine how different my life would be if we hadn't met. We used to stay up half the night talking about our weddings and the men of our dreams; I am so glad that she has found hers. Somehow our paths parted. I went away to college and became consumed with my college-life--school and work. Even when she came to the same college two years later, we rarely saw each other. I truly regret not staying in touch. Our friendship is important to me, and yet I put my busy life ahead of it. I am glad that I did get to celebrate her wedding day with her and Jeff, and I hope somehow to figure out how to stay in touch better.

Mandy is not the only close friend that I have lost touch with over the years. I don't understand why I have such a difficult time maintaining friendships across the miles. I am very much a relationship-oriented person, and yet the distance between me and many of my friends keeps pulling us apart. Why in the days of cell phones and no long distance charges and instant messaging is it so difficult for me to remain close to my friends and even my family? It frustrates me to have known a person so well and then to let them become a stranger. I even feel this way with my family a bit, but I'll save that for another post.

So, before I hit the road today, if you are one of my friends I want to let you know how special you are to me and that I love you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

This is one of those moments where I'm supposed to respond in a sentimental manner, isn't it?

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, It was soooo wonderful to have you at the wedding. It was so surreal and yet utterly perfect. BTW, Jeff and I might come into town (Tulsa) over Memorial Day. Try to nail me down on this.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home