Logic and Sense

Spending most days surrounded by teenagers, I wonder if logic and sense still exist. . . I am convinced it does.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The product of struggle

I’m proud of myself. I bought a new lawn mower today. I’ve been needing one for quite some time. The truth is I have a lawn mower, but I just bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart the first time. Since day one, that lawn mower never worked right. It is so difficult to start, and if you know me at all, starting a lawn mower isn’t a difficult challenge for me like it is with most women. I should have returned the lawn mower back then, but I didn’t. For over four years, I have struggled and struggled against this lawn mower. I don’t easily shirk away from a struggle; typically I persevere and the struggle becomes easier. I think that is why I didn’t want to buy this lawn mower today, and yet it is ultimately why I did buy it.

Why is it that we have to struggle to really accomplish or learn anything of substance? I don't really know anyone who likes struggle. Struggle is hard. Struggle is not fun. Most people (and that includes me) try to avoid struggle as much as possible because of this. And yet, it is through our struggles that we develop perseverance and ultimately character. The product of struggle is greater than the pain that we experience in the moment. The product of the struggle out-lives the difficulty.

I have many areas where I am struggling right now. It seems like I've been struggling with some of these for a very long time. I often wonder if I will ever conquer them. To be honest, I'm tired of struggling with my weight and with issues of self-worth. I know that I can't conquer these on my own and that I need the help of God. Yes, I want to get through these as easily as possible, but maybe I need to change my view of this. Maybe I just need to pray and ask God to just give me the grace to struggle well. I wonder what the product of the struggle will bring out of me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Something Dr. Hall likes to say is that "learning is painful." And I have to admit I've taken this up as my mantra as well. I don't know what it is about struggle, but you're right; it makes the lesson or end result so much more valuable than it would have been otherwise.

You're going to make it through those other struggles. I truly believe that you'll come to a place where you can turn around and say, "Wow, look how far I've come." But it's hard to see that in the midst of the struggle.

Well, as one of "those women" who has a hard time starting lawn mowers, I'm excited to see the new one in action. Not too excited, though. :)

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Jana, it is very difficult to find progress in the midst of struggle. i think the thing to tell yourself (even audibly) when youre struggling is that you have purpose (worth) and that all this that you are going thru will refine you to be able to serve God and others better. In turn, this blessing of God's heart will bless yours.

Also remember to give God thanks for His blessings in the midst of your troubles too.

It was the words in Job that inspired the song "Blessed be the name"

"When I'm found in the desert place though I walk through the wilderness Blessed be your name....When the darkness closes in, Lord Still I will say... Blessed be the name of the Lord
"

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home