Logic and Sense

Spending most days surrounded by teenagers, I wonder if logic and sense still exist. . . I am convinced it does.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Would it be a waste?

Several weeks ago I decided that I wanted to put together a puzzle. To be honest, I've never spent serious time working on a large puzzle. I'm good at helping Zack and Mikey with their 24-48 piece puzzles, but I wanted to try a "real" puzzle. Personally what I had in mind was something with about 500 pieces. This, to me, was an attainable goal.

Over the past several weeks I've had this puzzle strewn out on the dining room table. "Most" of the edge is put together, but no one can figure out how to get it all to fit just exactly. Jana and I have had friends who are pretty much puzzle experts try to figure it out, and though they made some progress, even they couldn't figure it out.

This puzzle is 1,000 pieces and seems quite daunting to me. I've got a lot going on right now, and Jana seems anything but interested in a puzzle. Hours have been spent on the edge of this puzzle. But, I want to know, would it be a waste to just put it away? I can't see myself ever finishing it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Personally, I'm torn. In one sense, it seems a shame to undo all the work already done. In another sense, will we ever really finish it?

It's not that I'm uninterested. It's just that there are only random times when puzzle work is fun to me.

I support whatever you decide.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Becky Davis said...

I don't know what to do. It's still sitting her, but I don't really have the heart to put it away. On the other hand, I really don't have the time to work on it now.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if you put it away, you'll _surely_ never finish! The only thing to do is gather small fistfulls of friendly folk, put some good music on and a nice caffeinated beverage of your choice, and time will fly. Well, maybe. But I'd come! :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

You absolutely CANNOT give up! Every puzzle has its moments of tediousness when you feel that you will never finish, but you can't give up! If I was there, I would come over and help you.
However, maybe you should start with an easier puzzle???

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I vote for an easier puzzle. This one was hard....

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's got a point. Maybe something with more straight lines and less GREEN?

BTW, I've been catching up on your blog. We really should live in the same state sometime! But I think I should let you know you seem to have a stalker. There's this "Jana Swartwood" person who is always commenting on your posts -- this could definitely be a sign of instability and possible danger if she ever finds out where you live! ;)

8:46 PM  
Blogger Becky Davis said...

It's a bummer that it seems to be a female stalker. Too bad it isn't some hot guy stalking my blog. :)

FYI, I did put the puzzle away, but when I did I tried to preserve as much of it as I could.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you going to start an easier puzzle?

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Who needs puzzles when you've got...homework? YES! The stalker strikes again!!! Be afraid...be very afraid.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Depot Dan said...

next time, just do what I do. Glue it together and frame it.
It will be your reward for the hard work...unless it was really only a 24 piece...then it is just embarrasing.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home