Logic and Sense

Spending most days surrounded by teenagers, I wonder if logic and sense still exist. . . I am convinced it does.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Dread of Morning

I fear every morning that I will do something that I will regret. I fear that I will kill a dog.

Soon after I moved in last year, my neighbors got a new dog--a dachshund. This annoying little SOB is let outside early each morning. Usually it is around 6 o'clock, but sometimes it is earlier or later. The dog has no manners! It runs out the door barking, and often doesn't ever shut up! I'm sorry, but some people are still trying to sleep at 6 o'clock! When I'm on summer vacation, I really don't want to be up at that time. It's even worse during the school year, on Saturdays or Sundays, when this happens. If I'm lucky enough to fall back asleep after the dog's first outing, it is only about an hour later when the cycle is repeated.

I really do hate this animal. I want to talk to the neighbors about it, but (not to sound mean) they are not the kind of people who would understand my problem. Anyone have a suggestion of how to shut this dog up without my being charged with animal cruelty?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

I would almost like to stand outside some morning and record an audio file of that dog's bark that you could put on here and people would really know, the way we know, how unbelievably unnerving that dog's bark truly is.

You're right, though. I don't think the neighbors would "get" the problem. Hmm.

If you ever did end up killing it, I wouldn't turn you in....

11:01 PM  
Blogger Chandi said...

Well, what they do here with annoying dogs is throw them a piece of meat laced with rat poison. Usually takes care of the problem pretty quickly. Oh, but you wanted something less cruel. What I did in the US was go out at 6 am, in my pajamas, and yell at the guy next door, who also did not understand my problem. I completely understand...there are several dogs here I´ve considered killing. The other option is to wear earplugs at night, or when it wakes you up and you´re not fully awake, so you can go back to sleep. I would at least confront the neighbors about it, even if they don´t understand. There are gadgets they can put on the dog to stop it from barking...it just sprays air in its face when it barks so it learns to stop barking. Very humane, and effective. Or, throw late night parties and see how much they appreciate that... Good luck!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hhhmmmnn... there are two thoughts swimming in my head about this.

idea 1;
even though said neighbors wouldnt understand, at least approach them once and say something to the effect of "hey, dont mean to trouble you too much, but your dog wakes me up every morning really early with his incessent (sp?) barking, what do you think we could do about that?". This way, even though they might not 'get it', when you file multiple complaints against them with the city, you can say that you have already tried to settle the situation amblicably ( i really cant spell, sorry .)

idea 2;
Whatever you do, DONT say anything to the neighbors, that way when you give the dog poison, they wont suspect you, at least not 1st.

I would go with the latter, but thats just me.

Post Script - Forgive my lack of punctuation or spelling skills.

Post Post Script. Take your friends idea of throwing parties really late at night. Make sure its loudest at 2a.m. or so, and make sure you play "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton really loud, over and over and over again. They might get it then.

:-)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jeanine said...

No helpful(?) ideas like Marshall, but I must congratulate you on the most appropriate use of the phrase SOB that I have ever heard! :)

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home