Logic and Sense

Spending most days surrounded by teenagers, I wonder if logic and sense still exist. . . I am convinced it does.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Basics of Mathematics

Why is it that so many people make so many dumb mathematical mistakes and then blame algebra for being hard? I have kids doing most of their algebra perfectly, but they can't do their basic math. This is not MY fault.

For instance, a negative number divided by another negative number equals a positive number. This is a mathematical truth. Personally, I can't explain why this is, but I just do it. I've never seen God and yet I know He is.

Also, the fraction 5/10 reduces to 1/2. The fraction 5/10 does NOT reduce to 2 or to 1/5. OY!

Is it too much to ask that high schoolers should know this? No, it is not, but at the same time it is really hard for me to do my job well when only about half (that is 1/2 or 50%) of my students know their basic math. Can you believe there are kids who don't have a clue about any of their multiplication facts?!? Seriously, whose fault is this?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob's whole family would agree with you on your perception of perfection. I am finding that with the more responsibilities I'm taking on at work, I am becoming more anal with the employees I watch over. I want what I am responsible for to reflect the best this department can do. If that means I become known as the mean manager, I'll take that.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home